Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Graduate Credit for Undergraduate Students

An undergraduate student who is also a senior may request approval to enroll in a G-course or a 500-level course. The student must complete a Permit for Seniors to Take Graduate Courses form. The student may apply the course in one of three ways:

  • As graduate credit (option I)
  • As upper division undergraduate credit (option II)
  • As credit for an accelerated master’s program (option III)

Graduate Credit (Option I)

Graduate credit earned under a Permit for Seniors to Take Graduate Courses does not imply that the student will be admitted to a graduate program at Boise State University. If the student completes courses for graduate credit while a senior and is later admitted to a graduate program, the program has the authority to decide which courses (if any) completed as a senior can be applied to the credit requirements of the program. The program also has the authority to define a maximum number of applicable credits of this type for the program, but the maximum cannot exceed one-third (1/3) of the total credit requirement for the degree or certificate.

Upper-Division Undergraduate Credit (Option II)

The student may apply up to two (2) successfully completed 500-level courses to his or her upper-division credit requirement for a baccalaureate degree.

Accelerated Programs (Option III)

Students in an accelerated master’s degree may apply a limited number of graduate level courses (as approved by the graduate program) to both their undergraduate and graduate degree.

Other Limitations

Undergraduate students may not enroll in 600-level courses. Courses offered as part of the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program are excluded from enrollment by all undergraduate students. Students admitted by the Graduate College to work on an accelerated master’s degree are subject to course limitations imposed by the Graduate College and by the participating graduate program or programs.