Liberal Arts Building
1910 University Dr.
Boise, ID 83725-1510
Dr. Kathleen Keys
The program leading to the Master of Arts in Art Education degree is designed to meet the needs of art educators working in schools, museums and other arts organizations or communities, and gives students the opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to become reflective and well-informed art educators. It does not lead to initial certification nor does it require certification for admission. Course work focuses on advanced curriculum development, an examination of contemporary issues relating to art and education, and advanced study of art history and studio practices. Students may select from either a thesis or project culminating experience.
Master of Arts in Art Education M.A.
Fall: January 15
Spring: October 1
Funding: January 15
Graduate Assistantships are awarded competitively to first year and continuing students. Assistantships include a nonresident tuition waiver, and a stipend. Students must submit the Application for Graduate Assistantship form and supportive statement to be considered for an assistantship.
- Apply to the Graduate College and satisfy the minimum admissions requirements of the Graduate College. International applicants must satisfy the international admissions requirements.
- A portfolio of fifteen (15) digital images of a recent body of work. Submit your portfolio through boisestateart.slideroom.com
- A statement outlining your educational and professional background, professional objectives, and philosophy of art or art education and why you are interested in the program.
- An example of academic or professional writing.
- Evidence of any public or private teaching experiences.
- Evidence of successful completion of basic K-12 art education methods courses; both K-8 and 6-12 or their equivalents. Deficiencies may be completed upon acceptance.
- A $10 USD application fee. The application fee must be submitted before the application is processed.
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in art education or related fields that address the applicant’s experience working in art and/or educational settings and potential contribution to the field of art education.