The Department of Biological Sciences at Boise State offers a comprehensive graduate education that spans the breadth of the contemporary biological sciences and prepares students for real world careers. The Master of Science in Biology is a research-based degree that requires students to complete and defend a thesis based on original research. The Master of Arts in Biology is considered to be a terminal degree, except for those wishing to attend a professional program. Applicants are encouraged to correspond with faculty concerning openings and potential research opportunities in their laboratories for graduate students.
Dr. Ian Robertson
1910 University Dr.
Boise, ID 83725-1510
- Apply to the Graduate College and satisfy the minimum admissions requirements of the Graduate College. International applicants must satisfy the international admissions requirements.
- A baccalaureate degree in biology or a closely related field from a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning or from a non-U.S. institution of higher education that is judged equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree by the International Admissions Office. Applicants should have an undergraduate GPA of at least a 3.00 on a 4-point system.
- A cover letter discussing your professional goals, research interests, and reasons for wishing to study biology at Boise State University.
- Official GRE scores that average in the 50th percentile or higher across the verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing portions of the exam.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional references.
Teaching assistantships that include a stipend, a tuition and fee waiver, and student health insurance may be available to M.S. students on a competitive basis. Additional support for masters research projects may be available from faculty members in the form of research assistantships. Other forms of financial aid are also available to graduate students. Prospective students should contact the Financial Aid Office or consult the Boise State University Graduate Catalog.
Application and Materials Deadlines
Fall Semester: January 15
Spring Semester: October 1