Computer Science skills are in high demand as it has become a driving force behind many of the advances in business, science and math, and now even social sciences and art. Thus in 2014, the State Board of Education and House Education Committee approved a rule change which allows students to take dual credit or AP computer science as core math or science credit versus elective – providing incentive for high school students to explore the field of Computer Science. The Computer Science Teacher Endorsement Graduate Certificate program is designed to prepare in-service teachers to teach computer science in high schools.
Graduate Certificate in Computer Science Teacher Endorsement
- Apply to the Graduate College and satisfy the minimum admissions requirements of the Graduate College. International applicants must satisfy the international admissions requirements. The GRE exam isn’t required.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning or a degree from a non-U.S. institution of higher education that is judged equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree by the International Admissions Office.
- A Professional Resume.
- A Letter of Intent regarding your interest in pursuing the Computer Science Teacher Endorsement.
- A letter of recommendation from a principal or school administrator who will support you with establishing a new computer science curriculum in your school.
- In-person or phone interview with the program coordinator.
In addition to the CS courses, students will have to apply to the Professional Standards Committee at Boise State University. The PSC committee recommends endorsement for Computer Science to the State Department of Education based on the following:
- Evidence of positively evaluated teaching in current position.
- Transcript Review.
- Pass Praxis II for available subjects.
- Four observations using the Danielson Framework across a span of no less than four weeks. 2 from Boise State University, 2 from principal.
New cohorts begin in summer only. The application deadline is March 1 for each year.