The Creative Writing program offers degree tracks in fiction and poetry, emphasizing the art and craft of literary writing and concentrating on the student’s written work.
Liberal Arts Building, Room 228
1910 University Dr.,
Boise, ID 83725-1525
- Apply to the Graduate College and satisfy the minimum admissions requirements of the Graduate College. International applicants must satisfy the international admissions requirements.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning or from a non-U.S. institution of higher education that is judged equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree by the International Admissions Office. Applicants without a bachelor’s in English are required to have a strong background in the field and should discuss their qualifications with the director of the program.
- A 500 word essay explaining your goals in pursuing graduate study in creative writing.
- A writing sample, which should consist of either 30 pages of fiction or 15-20 pages of poems.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with your academic work.
Teaching and Graduate Assistantships that include a stipend, a tuition and fee waiver, and student health insurance may be available on a competitive basis.
Application and Materials Deadlines
Fall Semester: January 15
Admission decisions: April 15